Monday, February 20 2017
How to Survive SXSW 2017
CC Image courtesy of Joopey on Flickr
SXSW is finally upon us! Every year thousands of people from around the world flock to Austin to be a part of one of the most diverse, collaborative and inventive communities in the world. It is the ultimate convergence of the interactive, film and music industries from March 10-19. Eventbase has powered the official mobile app for SXSW for the past seven years, and we are excited to head down to Austin in a couple weeks. Here are some tips from our team on how to make the most out of your time at SXSW 2017.
- Download the app – Get the official mobile app here and start planning your SXSW experience. As your digital concierge, it's your go-to source for all things SXSW and will help you get the most out of your time while in Austin. Browse the SXSW lineup, create your own schedule, check out SXSW Recommends for personalized recommendations, network with other attendees and much more.
- Plan ahead – With 6000+ events between interactive, film and music – there’s no shortage of things to do at SXSW. Familiarize yourself with sessions, events and parties taking place and create your own schedule ahead of time in the mobile app. You’re going to be running in between sessions at a breakneck pace. Have a game plan in mind of what you want to see in advance, but also don’t be afraid to go with the flow.
- Bring the essentials – As you document every second of your experience, constantly snapping pictures and tweeting, soon enough it’ll take a toll on your battery. Pack a portable battery pack, because a fully-charged battery is key. Also, don’t underestimate the importance of staying hydrated. The long days and late nights on Sixth or Rainey Street will catch up with you. Make sure to pick up a big bottle of water, or two. Water stations are plentiful and will keep you hydrated on the go.
- Getting around – Making your way to your next session, meet up, film, or artist showcase is easy. You’ve got multiple options to choose from, including the Festival shuttles, PediCabs and FASTEN (the official rideshare service for SXSW 2017). Find out more info here.
- Don’t forget to eat – with so much going on, finding time to eat can feel like a chore. You’ll need all the energy you can get when running between sessions and parties. There’s no shortage of amazing places to eat in Austin. Here are a couple of our favorite spots: 1) Torchy’s Tacos (multiple locations across Austin), 2) La Barbecue (1906 E Caesar Chavez), 3) Franklin Barbecue (900 E. 11th) and 4) Iron Works BBQ (100 Red River).
Whether it’s your first or fifth time at SXSW, these tips will help make it one of the highlights of your year. At the end of the day, live in the moment and enjoy every minute of being in Austin!