Director of Software Development
Eventbase is seeking a seasoned Director of Software Development to join our growing engineering team in Vancouver, BC.
Through years of experience starting as an engineer and eventually growing to lead a team you have learned to love the art, science, and camaraderie of building scalable, elegant, secure software products. After years of hands on software development you made the conscious decision to grow to develop a team and have spent considerable time doing so at scale. You have learned to foster greatness in your team, guiding them equally through engineering challenges and career growth. You know that the logical progression for a talented engineer is not necessarily to segue into people and you recognize that it is a rare individual who can make the transition from the joy of hands-on creation to that of team leadership.
Over the years you have grown your management moxy while maintaining a keen and contemporary knowledge of software technologies ranging from web to mobile, from cloud infrastructures and caching. You may occasionally dip back into the matrix to experiment with new technologies to satisfy your curiosity as well as better manage your crew.
You have developed multiple software products that are bulletproof and deployed around the globe by a large number of users. You have lived in an Agile world for many years and have overseen an ecosystem of multi-functional teams that hammer through backlog with vigour while maintaining the highest level of secure product development practices.
You understand that security and quality do not get shelved until all hell breaks loose and you value the elevation gained by working with a fantastic UX/UI team.
You have productively and respectively debated with management to find a balance between new feature development and refinement and can fluently speak and translate EngineerSpeak and BusinessTalk.
You’ve pulled enough long hours early in your career to lead your team so they don’t have to. And when your team puts in the occasional extra hours you understand the deep, philosophical value of pizza and encouraging words.
Above all you are a leader of engineers. One that inspires them, teaches them, and ensures that their efforts result in class-leading software that meaningfully impacts millions of users around the globe every year.
Eventbase is the leading mobile technology platform for events. Half of the top 20 technology companies in the world trust Eventbase to power their event apps. Current customers include IBM, Cisco, Microsoft, SAP, Amgen, Century 21, ESPN and TD Ameritrade. We also power official apps for many of the largest events on earth including SXSW, CES, Comic-Con, Sundance and three Olympic Games.
The Eventbase Platform is uniquely positioned to meet the needs of global enterprises. We deliver visually-rich and engaging mobile event apps that can support the entire portfolio of conferences and meetings that an enterprise hosts every year. Eventbase is a leader in innovation, pioneering the “Intelligent Event App” with technologies such as an Advanced Chat Bot and Recommendation Engine, and the use of proximity beacons for Hyper-local Networking and Indoor Location. We've been named “Best Event App” by the Event Technology Awards for three consecutive years.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- As a multidisciplinary leader you head the software development team as they build a growing suite of enterprise-grade SaaS products
- Build out the engineering team in line with your proven blueprint for effective software product engineering teams
- Effectively mentor and develop a team of software developers including direct reports who themselves lead people and technology
- Work with Product Management to deliver the product roadmap on-time, communicating clearly with your team, management and partners
- Work with other people leaders and team members to estimate effort and document scope
- Work with Quality Management to ensure high quality products are delivered on time and align with the overall Product vision, within given processes and standards
- Contribute to, and lead design, architecture, process and development discussions
- Debate and reconcile the varying opinions of the engineers and architects in order to find the optimal solution
- Tactfully lobby for the right outcomes with data, conviction and diplomacy
WHO YOU ARE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent, Masters or PhD preferred.
- 4+ years of experience as a manager of managers while leading multiple engineering teams
- 4+ years of experience of running software products, budgets and rationalizing resource needs to senior leaders
- 8+ years of experience in crafting and building sophisticated fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Experience in developing long-term strategies and influencing leadership decisions
- 4+ years experience leading agile software teams including strong elements of mobile, web, and back-end development
- Experience in using at least one relational database engine
- Deep understanding of cloud hosting and automation
- Hands on experience with secure software engineering practices & standard methodologies for the full software development process, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
We work hard and smart, and insist on having fun. Our cool Yaletown office provides a casual work environment with a few office dogs and an in-house coffee barista thrown in for good measure.
Additionally, each member of our team is eligible for our unique Ticket To Ride and Professional Development program! This gives you the chance to experience an event we build the app for to gain first-hand knowledge and see our hard work in action.
Please complete our online form and attach your resume and cover letter with responses to the following questions:
-How you will contribute to our company culture?
-Tell us why you may be the ideal candidate for this role.
-What is the best event (ie. music or film festival, sporting, tradeshow or conference) you've attended?
-How do you think mobile apps can improve the experience of attending an event?